Auto-Routing
 Easy Router Failing - Simple Connection
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  23:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Just run the Easy Router on a power supply board - Linear and easy to route.

It is failing on a very simple connection :

1. Capacitor connection to a Molex Connection. They are a few centimetres apart - and nothing in the path between them.

Why is it failing ?. (have cleared the schematic Net and created the connections again etc.). This connection is a ground connection. Takes 3 passes to finish, and this one connetion is still not routed.

2. I cannot find the command for highlighting failed routes - and for a complex board this would be a nightmare to find it visually. I have checked the online help and manual. The route is obvious now, but the initial passes did not show the unrouted net.

Hence how can you locate or highlight unrouted nets ?.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Richard.

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  00:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

i think i found the problem - the Track Grid was set to 0.127, and the net failed. Changed this to 0.1 and it work first time. Changed it back and forth and the error occurs with Track Grid set to 0.127.

I had previously set the units and grid to mm.

Are there any other anomalies like this - or is this an obvious trap that i fell into ?. Thanks.

Regards,

Richard.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  16:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Too large a track grid (or an inappropriate one for the bulk of the components) is an easy trap to fall into, and one of the commonest mistakes. Personally, I'd never use a grid greater than 5 thou or 0.125 mm, as it blocks too many routes between component pins - where the track should fit through, but the grid's offset from the centre of the gap, so the clearance is wrong.

You can consider going as low as 1 thou on dense boards, but the risk here is that you might get small jags - offset steps - in an otherwise straight track.
Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  18:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I did change the setting to 0.1 as it was 0.127. I assume this was a conversion from the thou to the mm measurement.

the odd thing about this was that there was blank space between the capacitor and molex connector - the track had 4cm y-axis space to get to the connection.

I need to play with the package a lot more to understand the finer points. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Richard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: