All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Which Version
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike Warren

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2023 :  06:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Mike Warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to examine .sch and .pcb files to determine which version they were created with?

I've just installed EPC V23 and V27 on my new computer. I need V23 because that's what a client uses.

I tried to open a project I'm sure I created in V23 and am being told I can't open it because it was created in a newer version.

http://mike-warren.net

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2023 :  11:21:01  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I'm sure that the Developers have cunningly hidden the Version somewhere in some sort of Header within the file, but I'm sure this information will not be in the public domain.

As a SUGGESTION, and if you are sure that it is a V23 file, try loading V23 onto a "virgin" machine. Alternatively, uninstall both V27 and V23 and re-install V23 (to ensure the Windows registries are "purged" of all knowledge of V27). Do not even use your present libraries (within V23) as they are (allegedly) Version specific too!

Not had any real experience of this, so best of luck!

Note to Developers, it would be helpful to state what Version created the file, rather than just say "a newer version". You know where this information will be hidden even in "newer" releases!
Go to Top of Page

Mike Warren

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2023 :  22:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Mike Warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply, Ed. I hadn't thought about libraries because I thought the documents ended up with independent copies of everything.

I'll install V23 by itself in a VM to see if that works.

This would have been so much easier if I could simply know if I've made a mistake and saved it in V27.

Go to Top of Page

Mike Warren

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2023 :  04:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Mike Warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I installed V23 on a fresh Win 11 VM.

It looks like I must have accidentally done some work on it in V27.

I'm guessing there is no way to convert the files?

Can I please request that in future versions the version number is included in the title bar. There's plenty of room. It's something I do in almost all of my applications.

Easy-PC by Number One Systems - Version 27.01 [MyDesign-rev2.pcb in...

Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2023 :  10:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a way to check the version. It's not secret, but it isn't widely known

Open the design. Right click and open 'Properties' (or use the shortcut). On the 'Statistics' tab, the 'Format' entry shows the major version number, which for some reason is always followed by '001'.

On the same tab, the single '0' in the second block of the signature indicates that the design has no detected errors. Of course, it it's NOT zero, it's time to contact support!
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2023 :  11:05:57  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A-ha, thanks for bringing that to our attention Peter. I'm sure Mike will find that interesting!
Go to Top of Page

Mike Warren

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2023 :  12:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Mike Warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The statistics tab shows 23001, so the plot thickens.

Anyway, I'm communicating with Peter via email to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Go to Top of Page

Mike Warren

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2023 :  14:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Mike Warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, this is embarrassing.

I had completely forgotten to apply the 23.0.6 update to my new V23 installation.

No idea how I forgot to do that, since I did remember to update V27 to 27.0.1

It seems there must have been some change to the file format between 23.0 and 23.0.6.

The files now open fine for me.

Mystery solved.

Edited by - Mike Warren on 16 Oct 2023 15:00:59
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2023 :  15:03:54  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well thanks for informing me of that Mike.

If its any consolation, I would have fallen into the same trap as well as
I had wrongly assumed that the "minor" upgrades released during the year had no effect on the "Version"!

Everyday is a school day, as they say.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2023 :  15:50:31  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Normally the format isn't changed during a major version but IIRC there was a serious bug which couldn't be ignored but also couldn't be fixed without a format change. I don't recall the exact version when it was changed but it was a pretty early one, possibly '.0.3'.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: