All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Orphan text
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2022 :  17:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
getting an issue in both PCB and Schematic layout with orphan text. This can't be selected either by clicking on it or enclosing within a window.
It can't be deleted as it can't be selected. Anyone else had an issue with this?

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2022 :  18:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It might be on an unselectable layer.... ensure all layers are selectable and try again.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2022 :  18:41:09  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try selecting/copying all and pasting to new schematic (or pcb). If it can't be selected, it may not get copied/pasted!
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2022 :  10:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the options set under [Settings], [Preferences]. There are options on three tabs, Interaction, Schematic Interaction and PCB Interaction which can prevent the selection of fixed items. If it's not a fixed layer (or structure type - it could be disabled text or symbol text) then try enabling selection of fixed items on these tabs if you can't spot anything else.
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  11:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK,a little more on this issue. Uncheck fixed item boxes, no change. All layers are turned on.
In the schematic, when I place a new component, I can select the whole item, but can't select the text to move it.
In other projects I can click on the component, then click on the text and move it around.
Same issue in the PCB file, I can't select the text independently of the component.
Don't know if this helps to narrow down the issue.
Go to Top of Page

nigle

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  11:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to the Settings and Highlights tab of the Colours dialog, and make sure that Text isn't set to 'Visible but not Selectable'
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  11:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've tried unselecting text so box goes blank, then applying it, then ticking the box and applying that.
Oddly de-selecting the box so it's blank doesn't stop the text being displayed.
Go to Top of Page

nigle

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  11:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be a different type of text then, such as Symbol Text, Pin Names, Net Names or Value Positions.
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  11:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've deselected all the boxes, applied, then reselected all boxes. This turned off all the text and symbols, then turned them back on.
The text still can't be independently selected from the component.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  12:52:14  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Then I'd suggest that the TEXT maybe part of the symbol.
Try editing the Component in the Library and see if the text is part of the component.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're using a supported version (currently V25 or 26) it might be worthwhile sending a copy of an affected design to support for them to take a closer look...
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2022 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a new phenomenon, something that's happened recently. The text has always been editable. I'd click on the component and then the text, the component would lose the highlight and I'd be able to move the text.
I've opened some other files and it's the same with them. In PCB mode I can't move the component designations without moving the whole component.
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2022 :  09:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: I opened the files on another computer and they are fine. Looks like Easy PC on the design computer has become corrupted somehow.
Time to break out the manual and do a completely fresh installation, see if that resolves the issue.
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2022 :  13:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update number 2.
Reinstalled it after deleting V26 and all previous versions off the computer.
The issue with orphan text went away, however the schematic window often wouldn't open properly, got the little blue circle spinning.
Updated the driver for the graphics card and it's now working as it should.
I'm wondering if the 'old' driver may have been the issue all along.
Card is an NVidia Quadro K4000 running two 4K screens.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2022 :  10:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that's the problem with Windows automatic updates - you can never tell when compatibility issues can arise!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: