All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Adding shapes to the Solder Mask layer
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  13:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's very easy to add a shape, (for example on the top silk layer) and then change the layer to bottom silk, top or bottom copper or any other layer, but no option to add it to the Solder Mask or Paste layers.
There have been many times when I've wanted to toggle the solder mask on or off on SMT pads or even on a track that I want to have additional solder on to improve thickness for example.
I have gone through the complex process of adding extra layers and giving them the necessary parameters to add another solder mask, but it also adds complexity to the Gerber plot generation and also to some PCB manufacturers.( I have 100 PCB's that I can't use because they interpreted the data wrongly). A simple manipulation of those layers would cure the problem. When adding PCB's to a panel it becomes even more complex.
I have now bought a Gerber Viewer with editing features so that I can merge layers and shapes at will in a way that EasyPC won't. I then send this edited Gerber set to the manufacturers. This is much faster and more reliable.
With all the easy flexibility of the other layers, is it not possible have the same features on these mask and paste layers?

Steve Hills

Edited by - n/a on 23 Jun 2016 13:11:56

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  14:42:22  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

I use "additional layers" in the Design Tech for paste & resist all the time. Once you get into the swing of things it's quite straightforward and you can easily edit these additional layers in the pcb editor if you so wish in exactly the same manner as the traditional layers.

The Gerbers are suitably auto named in EPC and you can add a "layer stack" in your pcb layout to avoid any mis-understanding of which layer is which.

I would have thought that there was less chance of making an error this way rather than manipulate the EPC generated Gerbers in another Gerber editor.

Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  14:45:07  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You simply create layers for resist and paste. You can can add shapes to these just in the same way as other layers. It doesn't complicate the gerber generation at all.

This really is the best way as you can see these masks within the PCB editor.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

n/a

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  15:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Edrees and Iain.
I know that these layers and features can be added and amended, but my main point is how long and complicated this is compared with just adding a shape to the top silk for example. No need to go into the technology files, add layers, give them specific characteristics or fiddle in any other way. Just add the shape, choose the layer and job done. That's what I'd like to see in the package.
I have done what you both say several times and it works OK with single design boards, but with multi-circuit panels you have again to set up all the additional layer types and layer stacks to make sure it's understood at the factories.
That additional work would not be needed if you could add the shape to the mask and paste layers in the same way as the you can to the silk screen or copper layers.

Steve Hills

Edited by - n/a on 23 Jun 2016 15:36:11
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  15:48:59  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, once you have the hang of it it is quite easy. Why not customise your Design Tech file to have these layers automatically added so you do not have to amend the Design Tech file everytime you wish to design a new pcb,- you just use the appropriate Design Tech file.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  18:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Edrees. I will do that, but it remains a bulky way of achieving what is so simple for the other layers. I really feel that it's something that has been overlooked in the programming of the software.

Steve Hills
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  21:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, as Ed says it's not complicated. I use this all the time. My technology file that I use has these layers added and so as soon as i start a design they are already there and set up and they are just as easy to edit as any other layer !

I can't understand how this could be simplified further ..... I think we are missing something in your explanation as to how you are trying to achieve this at the moment ?

Iain
Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2023 :  10:14:19  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
V26.0.2
I added the resist and past layers as described to an existing layout and generally it works fine. I noticed however that the resist layers aren't selectable (or editable) despite them being set to Selectable in the Colours dialogue box, so when I tried adding a filled rectangular area of resist, I was able to create the rectangle on the resist layer but not to change it.

The fix was to create a rectangle on the Top Silk layer, edit it to fit then change it to the resist layer. So far so good. However the new rectangle area doesn't appear in the resist Gerber file. Why would that be please?

John
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2023 :  11:27:39  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@jlawton

Hi John, I have repeated what you did on an existing design, adding both a rectangular Resist shape and another rectangular Paste shape. I can edit both shapes afterwards.

I'm a bit of a loss as to what to suggest, as you have checked the Settings in Colours tab, (for both Layers and Shapes?) but it appears not to be a universal V26.0.2 issue.

Edited by - edrees on 16 Jul 2023 11:31:30
Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2023 :  19:38:20  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Edrees for looking at this which has been a great help. Everything as you say was ticked but I just realised that the selection colour was the same as the resist colour so I couldn't see that the shape was in fact being selected! After changing the selection colour, now I can see that the resist pads can be selected and can edit them.

D'oh!

Actually finding a unique selection colour that doesn't clash with some other setting, possible making it apparently non-working for that particular item is quite tricky. I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it though.

John

John
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2023 :  09:36:06  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ Jlawton

Great you found the issue, maybe No1 could briefly flash the item when selected. This would be visible despite being the same colour?

Your issue is so easy to do! I recall not being able to add shapes to a design (because "Shapes" were set to "Not Displayed"). When I found the problem, there were dozens of random shapes all over the pcb design!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: