Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 3D view obliterated by floating rectangle
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digitaldreams

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  14:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When selecting the 3D view of my layout I can see the PCB and the base of the components. However a few mm above the board is a huge burgendy rectangular block....the same dimensions as the board.

Looking at the 3D tab in library manager, all pkg library items are either fine or without a preview at all. Looking at the 'colours' options in 3D view settings - it's the 'Default Components' colour that changes the colour of the rectangle.

How Do I quickly determine which component/package is at fault ?

Regards

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2009 :  12:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When no 3D image is defined for a symbol used by a component, the program attempts to make a placeholder. That's what you're seeing, and why it's using the default colour.

Because it's the same size as the board, I suspect that you've saved the board outline as a component, and it's trying to show it. If you have, try flipping this component and recreating the 3D view. If that's right, then the block will have moved to the bottom.

What's harder is avoiding this. If you define a shape with a ridiculous height, with matching standoff, then make it black, it will become a high roof over the design. Unless you're viewing from directly above, this won't be too intrusive, If you flip the component then it will appear on the bottom.

I've logged requests for a symbol option of 'None' and a colour of 'Transparent' to avoid this issue.
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  12:37:36  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can already suppress the use of a 3D package for a particular component. In the Values dialog for that component, add a value called 3DPackage, and leave its value blank.

This value is normally used to over-ride the normal method of selecting a 3D package based on the footprint name, but if you leave it blank it recognises this as meaning "I don't want to see this component in 3D".

I've discovered that this feature is not currently documented, so we'll sort that out by adding some notes about it to the online help.
Go to Top of Page

digitaldreams

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2009 :  12:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys...

My problem only occurred half way through the project. A possible issue is that there is no component defined for this board (at least none I can see in the libraries). I took an old design from a floppy version of Easy-PC (remember those days ?), stripped it of most components then saved that as a PCB to start future designs !. I know i should be punished....

Regards

DigitalDreams...
Easy-PC 13.0.3
Go to Top of Page

olga

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  09:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by digitaldreams

I took an old design from a floppy version of Easy-PC (remember those days ?)

Yes!
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  12:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup I remember that too, but at least they were not 5 1/4" or even 8 inch .... yes I remember them too... oh I'm getting old !!

Iain
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  14:05:48  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... and we had to book a timeslot for a turn on the computer because there were only 2 for the whole department!
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  19:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What !!! -- you had 2!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: