PCB Layout
 Copper pours and plated PCB cutouts
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sean49

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2022 :  17:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon,

We are wanting to add slots to a current PCB with a mounting hole at the end of it to allow the PCB to be slid into a mating PCB with the screws loosely fastened to align it correctly.

The only issue I am having in doing this is getting copper pours to meet the edge of the cutout they go to the actual mounting hole fine but not to the cutout they isolate from it like any other board edge, I assumed plating it would remove the isolation but it does not seem to.

Has anyone tried this and can suggest how it can be done?

I am assuming that for the cut out to be plated it will need to be
a. connected to copper on all layers like an annular ring for any normal round via.
b. It will need to be plated to allow it to effectively be part of the mounting hole.

The only alternative way to do this in EasyPC I can think of is to have the hole and slot as none plated and use vias to join the layers.

We are on version 24 but if this has been resolved in a later version wouldn't mine upgrading we tend to just leave it until we see something useful in the release notes.

Kind regards

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2022 :  21:55:33  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have a look at Shapes to Board Spacings in Design Tech and reduce value to 0. Then you can pour copper to slot edge (to enable slot to be plated).
You might then have to adjust the global copper pour shape size, if you don't want copper pour to pcb edges (or change settings back again)
Go to Top of Page

Sean49

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2022 :  09:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea ill go with that thank you edrees
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: