Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 Grid Settings Not Saved Editing Schematic symbols
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris55000

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2022 :  00:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me why Grids and Grid Settings aren't being saved when Editing Schematic symbols in the Library?

A lot of the schematic symbols I use need very small details added to them (e.g. the tiny capacitor added in a circle to denote a "variable–capacitance" diode) and it's a nuisance to find out all the Grids and Grid Settings have gone when I want to modify or add a schematic or PCB symbol, as I rely on the Grids to help me dimension small details!

I do a lot of circuit diagram work in a drawing package called "sPlan" by the German manufacturer Abacom and this German product doesn't show up this nonsense!

Chris Williams

Edited by - Chris55000 on 05 Jul 2022 00:15:41

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2022 :  09:23:33  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grid and Grid settings ARE saved when creating or modifying a schematic component.
The Grid has to be "enabled" under Settings, then when you go to edit the component the original grid settings are visible and the grid (Metric/Imperial and snap) is set to what was used to create or edit the component in the first place.
However, if you mix up the grid settings and snap grid in numerous schematic components, you'll have problems wiring up the components in the Schematic Editor as there will be a mis-match of (snap) grids, -but the wire will still snap to the off grid pin!

Edited by - edrees on 05 Jul 2022 09:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Chris55000

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2022 :  10:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah!

I'll check those points and report back!

David L Jones, the owner of EEV Blog made this point in the 25 page "PCB Design Tutorial" he wrote, stating that you end up with "dangling bits of tracks, amateurish joins from tracks to pads and assorted other artefacts, all of which are down to not employing the Snap Grid properly!", so I'll pay special attention to that Grid when I make my next batch of symbols!

Chris Williams

Edited by - Chris55000 on 05 Jul 2022 10:57:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: