General Issues
 Easy-pc and Linux
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2019 :  11:57:16  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moved all our computers from XP to W10 a few years back.
Early on it would update regularly, I get the feeling it was released too early with quite a few issues / bugs.
Now it's solid and I've had no crashes or issues of any sort with it.

I know some folks dislike Microsoft (as I did when they released garbage like Win ME) however W10 has been stable and secure in the time I've been running it.

Now run a 4K dual screen with a Quadro 4000 video card, Easy PC is completely stable on it.
XP was OK, but used to hang occasionally, seemed like it was a minute before the auto save.
Go to Top of Page

dhaen

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  20:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using EasyPC since 1987 so its commands are my "muscle memory" - just a refresh when new features arrive.
I moved away from Microsoft in 2001 but still had to have an MS box available for my most important app.
I've tested each release of WINE for compatibility and performance with disappointment, until now.
Finally WINE performs acceptably and I can run EasyPC. I've completed one design without any hiccups and I'm so pleased.
I should point out that I'm using WINE on MacOS, though Linux results should be similar.
Are there any differences from W10? Yes: Crashes do occur but less frequently. There are some small (but not significant to me) display differences.
I realise that there is no guarantee that WINE will perform with future versions of EasyPC but I'm taking a chance and disposing of my MS box.
I can understand why the EasyPC team can't migrate to another OS, so this is a perfect compromise.
Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2020 :  11:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am using v23.06 via Play On Linux and Wine 5.19 staging. I have selected the requirement that Easy-PC does not check automatically for updates, but it still contacts "numberone.com" every time i start the application.

I checked multiple times and the same issue. I have seen one occurrence of number one being contacted when i close the application.

Has anyone else experienced this ?.

Does it happen when using Easy-PC on native Windows OS ?

Thanks and regards,
Shadders.
Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2020 :  13:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Just completed a bit more testing - every time there is a file save, the Autoupdate GET function is implemented.

The packets are unencrypted, and there does not seem to be any information sent.

So, it seems to be a bug.

Regards,
Shadders.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
488 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2020 :  14:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think accessing the website in this instance is anything to do with the Start page. Would you please go to [Help], [Support], [Check for Updates] and just make sure that automatic checking is disabled?
Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2020 :  15:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Yes, i have checked and it has always been Never Check Automatically.

It may be something to do with Wine, but i suppose not many people scan their packets etc., to discover this.

Regards,
Shadders.
Go to Top of Page

jgrosjean

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  15:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run EasyPC in a Windows virtual machine in VirtualBox. It works fine in XP, 7 and 10 which I am currently using. I tried it in Wine in Linux and it generally works but will crash for some operations like translating a schematic to PCB, so I stopped using it in Wine.
Go to Top of Page

dhaen

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  16:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running 24.02 in Crossover Office Version 20.0.4 64-bit on a Mac. The only issue encountered has been the already noted problem with fonts other than the system stroke font.
Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  18:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi jgrosjean,
If you run Easy-PC as a win32 program (x86) under WINE, then there are no issues as you have described, apart from an odd slow issue in the PCB infrequently.

Wine 6 seems to be failing for LTSpice - so if you do use Play On Linux, then download the latest version 5 staging, and it should be ok.

Regards,
Shadders.

Edited by - shadders on 27 Apr 2021 18:23:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To: